Our School App Stay connected on the go...
The curriculum at Montpelier High School will inspire students to become ethical and compelling individuals who are inquisitive about all areas of learning. Through the wide variety of subjects offered, we will provide all students with the knowledge, skills and competencies to be leaders in the innovative and dynamic global economy where transferrable skills are essential. Students will follow a core curriculum that enables them to access their future goals. Personal, social and health education (PSHE) as well as employability skills are embedded throughout the curriculum and within a comprehensive tutorial and enrichment programme.
All students have a two week timetable in which they study 50 hours, each lesson is 60 minutes in duration. They have an additional 4 hours per week of tutor or enrichment time within the school day.
Assessment and Reporting
The Assessment and Reporting pages set out the principles of assessment, how we record and monitor our students and also how we report on students' progress to parents.
The Curriculum Overview gives detail about the topics and skills that our students will learn each term (Autumn, Spring, Summer).
Within each subject teachers have set out:
- Powerful knowledge - this is the subject knowledge students need to retain in their long term memory.
- Subject-specific skills - these are the disciplinary skills specific to each subject.
All Age Related Expectations (ARE) stages are assessments of academic attainment and understanding.
- Progressing towards – students will have skills or knowledge gaps which means it will be difficult for them to access the curriculum for their chronological age
- Approaching – students have some of the skills and have retained some prior knowledge to be able to access the curriculum content for their age.
- Securing – students have securely learned the skills and powerful knowledge for the ARE for their chronological age
- Mastering - students have fully retained and mastered the skills and can apply, in novel ways, the powerful knowledge for the ARE for their chronological age
Please click the below link for information about our Teacher Assessed Grades process used in the summer of 2021 when exams did not take place. This is a process that was specific to that year, and that we are not following again or in future years.