Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Spanish is the fourth most commonly spoken language in the world (after English, Chinese and Hindustani), with over 400 million speakers!
Learning Spanish can benefit you in many ways: intensive study of the vocabulary and grammar can help you develop a better understanding of your own language, as well as providing a stepping stone for learning other foreign languages.
Additionally, if you can imagine yourself working abroad when you’re older then speaking Spanish will make you more employable in over 21 Spanish speaking countries, as well as in the United States (where it is the second most widely spoken language)!
Lastly, speaking Spanish really is something that will benefit you for the rest of your life. It gives you the opportunity to experience other cultures from a different perspective and gives you the chance to interact with a much wider variety of people. It is the difference between visiting Spain or Latin America as a tourist, or travelling with an insider’s knowledge.
At the end of the day, it is perfectly possible to see the pyramids in Mexico, the running of the bulls in Spain, the amazing wildlife in Ecuador and the Galapagos islands, and the fantastic site of Machu Picchu in Peru without speaking a word of Spanish…. But it isn’t nearly half as much fun!
Years 7 - 9
From day one in Year 7 students are starting to prepare for their Languages GCSE exams and follow a GCSE mastery curriculum. We aim to teach the following from the start of Year 7 so as to ensure all students become confident and enthusiastic linguists and master the skills required for GCSE:
- Dictionary and verb table skills
- Spontaneous Speaking
- Extended Writing
- Authentic Listening
- Authentic Reading
- Memory skills
Years 10 - 11
AQA new specifications from 2016
- Theme 1: Identity and culture
- Theme 2: Local, national and international and global areas of interest
- Theme 3: Current and future study and employment
- Paper 1: Listening 25%, written exam
- Paper 2: Speaking 25%, role play, photo card and general conversation
- Paper 3: Reading 25%, written exam
- Paper 4: Writing 25%, written exam
Useful Resources and Websites
- ‘Así’ Books 1 and 2 text books
- ‘Boardworks’ ICT KS3 package (used in teaching)
- www.languagesonline.org.uk – general resources for all key skills
- www.wordreference.com – online dictionary
- www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips – videos on a variety of topics
- www.tes.co.uk/resources – variety of resources available
- Year 7s will have the opportunity to participate in a production of ‘Snow White’ in Spanish at the end of the year.
- Year 9 tapas meal
- Routes into Languages speaking competition run through the University of West England
- Routes into Languages video competition
- Opportunity to visit Spain as part of a school trip (alternate years. Not available to Year 7)
Please visit the V6 Sixth Form website for information about Spanish A-Level.
Full Course Information is available here