Our School App Stay connected on the go...
In the Biology department, we aim to:
- Stimulate an interest in and enjoyment of Biology.
- To foster an understanding of the importance of Biology in the modern world.
- To encourage the development of practical and analytical skills through regular, relevant practical work.
Years 10 - 11
We study the AQA specification at GCSE. Students will sit external examinations for this in the summer of Year 11. Students are entered either for Triple Science or Combined Science GCSEs. We encourage the development of knowledge and understanding in Biology by providing the students with opportunities for working scientifically.
We will complete a number of practical activities throughout the course. Students will need to be able to recall these practicals in the examinations. Students have access to lots of revision material on Moodle. We also recommend buying a copy of the CGP revision guide for AQA Biology. This is available through Parent Pay. The students have access to the online textbook on the Kerboodle website.
The topics that we cover are:
- Cell biology
- Infection and response
- Homeostasis and response
- Inheritance, variation and evolution
- All students will be given a login for the online text book on Kerboodle, which covers all courses.
- Further course details and past papers can be found on Moodle and on the aqa website – Click the links for ‘Science A’ or Additional Science for students studying these courses.
- BBC Bitesize has useful revision for Units 1, 2 and 3 of the course.
- A more challenging but also helpful revision website is docbrown.info