Our School App Stay connected on the go...
In the chemistry department, we aim to:
- Stimulate an interest in and enjoyment of chemistry.
- To foster an understanding of the importance of chemistry in the modern world.
- To encourage the development of practical and analytical skills through regular, relevant practical work.
Years 10 - 11
We study the AQA specification at GCSE. Students will sit external examinations for this in the summer of Year 11. Students are entered either for Triple Science or Combined Science GCSEs. We encourage the development of knowledge and understanding in Chemistry by providing the students with opportunities for working scientifically.
We will complete a number of practical activities throughout the course. Students will need to be able to recall these practicals in the examinations. Students have access to lots of revision material on Moodle. We also recommend buying a copy of the CGP revision guide for AQA Chemistry. This is available through Parent Pay. The students have access to the online textbook on the Kerboodle website.
Topics we cover are:
- Atomic Structure and Periodic Table
- Bonding and Structure
- Quantitative Chemistry
- Chemical Changes
- Energy Changes
- Rate and Extent of Chemical Change
- Organic Chemistry
- Chemical Analysis
- Chemistry of the Atmosphere
- Using Resources
- Further course details and past papers can be found on the AQA website – Click the links for ‘Combined Science Trilogy’ or Chemistry for students studying these courses.
- All students should make a Seneca Learning account. Seneca Learning is particularly good for practising recall.
- All students should have a GCSE Pod account where homework will be set consisting of multiple choice exam questions and videos for recap
- The website www.physicsandmathstutor.com is a good source of past paper questions and notes. Make sure to use the AQA Chemistry or AQA Combined Science Trilogy sections.
- Other useful Youtube channels include: Primrose Kitten, Free Science Lessons, Fuse School and Cognito.
BBC Bitesize also has useful revision.
Our students say:
- On making polymer slime: 'This is the best experiment ever!'
- 'I like the experiments'
Please visit the V6 Sixth Form website for information about Chemistry A-Level.